One of the Conference talks that we will be discussing in our 4th Sunday lesson this month is Courageous Parenting by Elder Larry R. Lawrence. I've listened to this talk several times this morning. Some of the things he said that caught my attention were:
- ...parents are responsible for the protection of their children. That means spiritually as well as physically.
- ...parents who love their children cannot afford to be intimidated by them.
- Parenting is not a popularity contest.
- Sometimes we are afraid of our children-afraid to counsel them for fear of offending them.
- It is important for husbands and wives to be united when making parenting decisions.
I know that both of my children are still quite young. But Zachary specifically is a little sponge right now. It is a scary world out there with tons of unrighteous influences. And I pray that our children are never affected by Satan's tactics. I hope that Joe and I are never afraid to counsel him. I want him to know what the Spirit feels like and to be able to recognize it. I love to listen to him pray at night and say the things he does in his prayers. I want him to know that Joe and I are his parents...parents who love and care for him deeply. I know that as we counsel with the Lord as a couple regarding our children we will always do what is right. One more thing that Elder Lawrence said is the following:
"Our Church leaders have counseled us to establish righteous patterns in our homes. Consider five fundamental practices that have the power to fortify our youth: family prayer, family scripture study, family home evening, family dinner together, and regular one-on-one interviews with each child."
I know that there are some of these things that we can improve upon in our home. I am grateful for this talk. And grateful for technology that allows me to listen to it over and over. I am grateful to have been blessed with my children and pray that I can raise them to be a righteous son and daughter of our Father in Heaven.